Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Year?

This is Carman writing on behalf of Brenda - for those of you who don't know me, I am Brenda's husband. I'm not nearly the writer that Brenda is so I hope I can do her blog justice. She speaks from her heart, so I will attempt to do the same and be as open as she is. Some of us guys have difficulty stating our true feelings and showing emotion because we think it shows weakness. I have never in my life been more in touch with my emotions and feelings than the last few days.

It is amazing how things can change so quickly. Brenda finished her radiation on December 8th and for the most part she felt great. Her energy was returning, the pain in her chest was gone, and the skin burning from the radiation was healing. She was starting to return to some normalcy of life, doing some work, walking Rudy, etc... On Boxing Day she started to feel sick with the flu, vomiting, feeling achy, no appetite, no energy - typical flu symptoms. She started to feel better so we went to some friends on New Years Eve to hang out, play some games and eat all kinds of great food. Brenda even lasted until about 11:30, which is the latest she has been out since my friends' wedding in August. The next day it all started again...

She was starting to feel some sharp pain, not the achy pain due to the flu, but the sharp pain she had grown accustomed to when they detected the cancer in her sternum. She spent a restless, sleepless night, Friday, tossing and turning, unable to get comfortable. The pain was originating in her back, side, and the lower part of her ribs. Not wanting to go through the same thing again, Saturday night, she asked me to take her into the emergency department in Red Deer to see if they could give her something stronger for the pain. They ran some tests, took some x-rays, and were concerned that she might have a blood clot that was causing the pain, so they asked us to come back the next morning (Sunday) to have a CT scan. The CT scan did not show a blood clot, but it did show more of what we did not want. Before the doctor even spoke, we knew what he was going to say. The CT scan showed cancer on her spine and on her liver and the specs that had shown up previously on her lung had now grown.

The last couple of days have been a bit of a blur. My parents came for awhile Sunday afternoon to cry with us, pray with us, and give us encouragement. Our pastor also came Sunday night to give us some encouraging words and he shared some verses from Psalms 27. Verses 1 - 3 say "The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid? When evil men (or cancer) advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear," and verses 13 & 14 say "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."

Since we have received this latest news our hope has been destroyed. We are very angry, and we don't understand why we are being put through this. We believed that the cancer was under control and that the treatments Brenda was receiving were doing their job. It is very difficult to think about the future right now and to grasp what might be in store for us the coming days or months. We just cling to our love for each other, the love and support of our friends and family, and the hope that God still wants us to have a long life together.

Our radiation oncologist, Dr. Tankel, phoned this afternoon and we will meet with him tomorrow at The Cross for more tests, an MRI, and possibly the start of more radiation. We pray that everything goes well tomorrow and that the tests performed and decisions that are made will help us move towards the positive outcome that we long for.

18 comments:

Kami said...

My heart is heavy for both of you and your families. My thoughts and prayers are here stronger than ever! love you lots!
kam

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Weeping with you. What a shock, after feeling so good. My prayers for you, Brenda and Carman, have been (and will continue to be) unceasing.

BonnieC said...

Oh Brenda,

I haven't written before but I find myself needing to lend my thoughts in writing. I have been praying for you and am so sad about the latest developments.

When I first read your blog I was so angry - why you? I recently went through a miscarriage in the 21st week which is very rare and felt the same anger at God - why me?

I have come to terms that we may never know WHY in this life and that we can only believe that our questions will be answered and joy brought to our hearts when we finally go home to the Lord.

I pray for strength for you and Carmen in this terrible time of dispair and feeling of hopelessness. I pray that the cancer can be overcome and you can grow old to put Carmen's socks on him. Such a simple request...

Cry and grieve and love and pray. Know that we are all rooting for you.

I have asked that you be put on our church's prayer chain list so maybe you can take comfort in that as well.

Take care,
Bonnie

Marla said...

Dear Brenda and Carman - I don't believe I've met either of you, but I'm a friend of Taryn's - she shared your blog as you began this journey, and I spoke to you Brenda, via email, late last year. I wish I could tell you that everything will turn out good and it will all be okay, but of course, I can't. All I can offer you is prayers from myself and my husband (and our church) and this verse which I shared with Brenda in an email. It give me comfort and I hope that it will do the same for you: "they that hope in the Lord will renew their strength; they will soar with eagle's wings; they will run and not grow weary; walk and not grow faint.' Stay strong. God bless you both.
Marla & Darcy Forman

Don said...

It is inspiring to read of the strength of your faith and your support for each other during this horrible time. It appears that there is also strong support both online and in your daily lives. Hopefully these strengths will help both of you as Brenda continues to battle this disease.

Our family is continually thinking of both of you and your families. We will continue to send our positive thoughts out to you. We will continue to hope that despite this bad news, this cancer can be overcome.

Gerhard said...

Dear Brenda and Carman,
We have followed yourm blog from day one, and have been praying for you ever since. We dont' understand this latest news at all!! We do know that God is LOVE and that HE will carry you through this difficult time of your life. We continue to agonize and pray with you for healing.
Love, Gerhard and Esther

Lisa said...

Continue to hold each other tight cry, pray and get angry together, God knows us better than we do, he also loves each of you more than you do. I will continue to pray for your healing Brenda, God is bigger than this, and death has already been beaten. Don't give up...

Lisa

LDAEJB said...

Dear Brenda and Carman,

When we became aware of your latest news we felt a deep sense of shock and despair. Words cannot capture our thoughts or convey the emotion that we feel.
Joshua 1:5 says 'Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you...I will never leave you alone' and John 14:27 says 'I leave you peace...so don't let your hearts be troubled. Don,t be afraid'. In Psalm 62:5-8 David writes ' Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him for God is our refuge. We send our love and prayers to you and petition daily on your behalf. Love, Darryl, Lita, Austin, Emily, Jonathan and Brianna

Laurie Skog said...

You don't know me and I just heard about your journey last night. I have fwd. your blog to my small prayer team and we will pray. May the Lord's love enfold both of you, fill you with a peace that passes all understanding, give you a healing that will puzzle all the medical profession, and a renewed greater love for our Lord. His ways are not always our ways, but with many people crying out for you and knocking, may He hear the cries being lifted up for you and heal you.

Be Brave, be strong, for the Lord our God is with you.

God bless you both,

Laurie Skog

Re "Be not afraid" - Strong's concordance is the quickest way to find these verses on line.

Anonymous said...

Carman,

I am so thankful that Brenda has such a loving, caring, and supportive husband. Knowing Brenda has you by her side has helped me get through this difficult time. I am proud of you and very honored to have you as my brother-in-law. Love you. Stay Strong.

T

Anonymous said...

On Behalf of the Odovichuc family I would like to thank everyone who has been supporting Brenda and Carman throughtout their journey. Thank-you for your kind words and prayers, dropping off meals and flowers, cleaning their house, getting Brenda to her appointments, helping with Rudy...and the list goes on. We are truly touched.

God Bless,
T

ColleenC said...

Brenda and Carman,
We are saddened with you latest news. What a road it has been for the two of you. We continue to pray for understanding and healing. Know that we stand beside you both in spirit. Your hopes and prayers are ours as well. May God grant you abundant peace and strength. Love Colleen and Trevor

Unknown said...

Brenda,
I havn't spoken with you in so long...I have been following your journey and I admire your strength, courage, determination that you have shown. I am so sad with your latest news. I want to give you my courage and all the strength I have to help you and Carmen fight this diesease. My thoughts and prayers are with you everyday. I am sending you my love.
Marit

JKJanz said...

Dear Brenda & Carman,
Our hearts were so saddened to learn of the struggles you are facing. We will continue to lift you in prayer. May the Lord be your comfort and strength.
Love, Jeff & Kristi

Anonymous said...

Dear Brenda and Carmen,

Daily I lift your names up to the Lord. My prayers are for a renewed hope and pain free days and nights. I pray you will feel God's strong arms wrapped tight around you and that you would have that deep sense of peace that passes all understanding. What an incredible blessing you have been too all you have shared this journey with. Even though my heart is so heavy for you, I know the Holy Spirit is with you and my prayer is that you know that also.

Kami said...

Hi B! I know you are back in Edmonton and just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you all week!!
sending you all my love, and strength!
always,
Kam

kandace said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Brenda and Carman. My heart is aching for you and what you are going through. I wish there was something I could do to to help you and take your pain away. I know I have only met you briefly at Taryn's party she had for brenda but you both touched me deeply and I think about you very often. I will continue to pray...and pray...and pray. Find comfort in eachother's arms.

Mel said...

Dear Brenda
My heart goes out to you both. My family has been through this roller coaster. My mom had stage 3 breast cancer. She as well had Dr. Tankle as her doctor. He is a very knowledgable and kind. I pray that God will grant you peace and stillness in your heart that you have never known before. I pray that God will grant the Doctors direction and knoweledge in the treatments that they give you. Please know that you are not alone.