Monday, April 20, 2009

The Susan Boyle Effect

I think we are all guilty of it, I know I am. You assume you know the outcome, how the situation will unfold. But then, someone like Susan Boyle reminds us we truly don't know what the next moment of our lives will provide. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out this video clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY


My forth round of chemo has been the easiest thus far. When I say easy, I have thrown up less, had less nausea, and a prescription for Adivan is allowing me to have some restful nights when my insomnia is in full force. My second round of Zometa was also was easier - no fever or leg cramping!

I would also like to provide a little lesson on what NOT to say to people who have cancer. On the weekend we were at a fundraiser for Camp Silversides out at Gull Lake. An older lady approached me and asked if I just shave my head or if I had cancer. I shared that I had cancer. She then proceeded to tell me about a family member who shaves his head because they had 3 people in their family die in one year from cancer. Are you kidding me - are you really that rude!!!!! When you see someone struggling with cancer tell them about someone who is a survivor; we all know enough stories of people who have died from it. Class it out.

The nice weather has me planning what flowers I am going to plant this year and we have all outdoor living room all set-up out on the deck.

7 comments:

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Ugh. I hate it when people talk before they think. If it's any consolation, I've been asked if I'm pregnant about 6 times in the last year. Nice, eh? Not at all the same, but just to demonstrate that there are a LOT of people out there who just don't THINK.

I'm glad to hear these last treatments were a bit better for you, and that you are getting a bit of rest. My prayers are still with you and Carman.

Jodi, Jay, Jacob said...

We love you !!! People should really think before they make comments, or give advice. That must've been difficult for you.
Hopefully someone pointed out to her, she was extremely rude & insensitive. Sometimes its hard to find the right words...
I enjoyed chatting with you tonight, and hope the next couple of days are a little easier for you. Maybe if Carmen wears the pink coat, it might keep your spirits up. I just want to let you know how much I love you, and you're in my thoughts & prayers always !!!

Jodi, Jay, Jacob

Elaine said...

Hi Brenda! We were surprised to see you yesterday at Harley and didn't recognize you at first! You look great and I just wanted to hug you! We are still praying for you and Carmen! Would it alright if we came for a visit? Just remember when the world drags you down sometimes, God will always lift you up!

Martinek said...

Just to let you know the dance girls have been doing your imitation of Mia Michaels all week-funny!! Inspiration!!

Gail D said...

Hi Brenda. So I just completed reading all of your blog and man its like I can so relate to what your going through. I am happy that I found your blog...well you found my blog actually! And that there is someone out there that understands what we are going through. And we christian sisters have to stick together to get that support. As you mentioned tons of times as I do to...without God and his strength I don't even know how we would ever get through this new journey that we are on!

Love you sister and take care!
Gail

LDAEJB said...

Hi Brenda and Carman,

We saw the Susan Boyle video and just loved it. It was a reminder to continue to have faith and hope. We just watched Michael J. Fox's one hour special about 'The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist' and found it quite encouraging. M.J. Fox has just written a new book called 'Always Looking Up' which I'd like to read. On the one hour show, he said that life for him struggling with Parkinson's has been full of one step forward two step back moments but that he's learned that it's making that one step forward that really counts. He calls himself an incurable optimist and we have seen that strength in you. Praying for you daily and looking forward to the next time that we can spend time with you and Carman.

Love Darryl, Lita, Austin, Emily, Jonathan and Brianna

Leslie McMillan said...

@--)-- Susan Boyle Rose Votes --(--@
We just sent Susan Boyle Rose Votes
from America to Fountain Studios for
delivery on Saturday, May 30, before
Susan’s big night on BGT! You can too!
♥Google London flowers
♥Choose your florist, choose your price
♥Order Saturday, May 30, delivery to:
Susan Boyle Rose Votes
Fountain Studios
Wembley
HA9 8HQ
♥Show your love for Susan!
♥Copy, paste and share this message!
@--)-- Susan Boyle Rose Votes --(--@