Monday, February 16, 2009

Chemo Round #2 & Get Out Your Wallet


A bit of an update, my second round of chemo was delayed a week to allow my white blood cells to come-up some more, and to provide my digestive system time to heal. It is amazing what a week can do. My appetite is good and I have gained 4 pounds!


On Friday I had my second round of chemo and I unfortunately spent an extra 3 hours at the Cross. My permanent IV site (by the way I have named him Fraggle - after the'80s kids show Fraggle Rock - my two headed monster is purple, blue and red - and although we aren't 'friends' we are co-existing just fine these days). Sorry I got off track. My IV site was plugged because it wasn't being serviced properly so it took 3 hours of tests, flushing, and waiting before they could administer the drugs. Yes, Red Deer Home Care will be politely informed to review their protocol.


Last Wednesday while washing my buzzed head my hair fell out. It was really quite something to see hair just wipe off your head. I'm not completely bald, but I would say 90%. So far I am not traumatized by it all. I've got a good collection of hats and toques, and when I am around friends I just Rock the Bald.


Lastly, I would like to encourage you to support our friend Bill Woods in his commitment in The Ride to Conquer Cancer. His team name is Brenda's Bravehearts and Wild Pigs. Wild Pigs is the name of the men's group Carman belongs to. You can donate directly via the website - search by Bill Woods or Brenda's Bravehearts and Wilds Pigs. His goal is $5,000! I believe Bill is also looking for people to ride with him. If you are interested, I would be happy to put you in touch with him.



Attached picture is from my girls night - from left to right - Kelly, Kami, Jenn, and Me. Let me tell you, there is nothing like having great friends!


4 comments:

Sleepyheads said...

Brenda,

I have been checking the site everyday and am glad to hear you are doing well. You look beautiful bald and looking that good you should Rock the bald all the time! Still thinking of you everyday and keeping you in my prayers!

Loranne

kandace said...

Hi Brenda!! You sound great and up beat in your latest post. That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! You look ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC with your "new do". You are beautiful.Still praying and thinking of you and Carman :)

Kandace

Martinek said...

can't wait to actually see you in person-it has been way too long! Yes, the household is sick but we must get better so we can have a visit! The new "do" looks good!

Daria said...

Brenda ... what a great picture!

Keep rocking that bald ...

Daria