Wednesday, April 28, 2010

ER

When you are on chemo you have to constantly monitor your temperature to make sure you are not running a fever. On day five during my first round of chemo in January 2009 I ran a fever and spend 5 days in the hospital being pumped with antibiotics. Those five days were some of the hardest days of my life. So when I started running a fever on day four during this second time with chemo I was not looking forward to a trip to the ER - I did not want another stay in the hospital.

Unfortunately what 'I want' did not come true. Because of the bed shortage I had to spend the night in the ER and it was brutal. It took until 5pm the next day to get a bed and I admit I had some breakdowns during that time. Between the babies crying, sounds of people wretching, large carts being pushed, the toilet flushing, and the construction I found myself on the verge of walking out many times. But, refusing care really isn't an option when you are on chemo and running a fever.

When I finally got my bed I was past tired and it took 2 Ativan and a sleeping pill to knock this girl out.

On Thursday night Carman and my dad delivered the care package you all helped with. Travis just so happened to be about 3 doors down. Travis and Jamie were both pretty taken-back with the unexpected gift. To my surprise it was Jamie birthday! Jamie stopped by my room several times and we got a chance to get to know each other. It is like I've known Jamie a long time. I also got a chance to visit with Travis a bit too.

I can already picture Carman and I riding out to Travis and Jamie's for Lincoln's sixth birthday.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Something about staying in the hospital just plain sucks...I feel your pain there. If only we could hire a nurse with an iv stand and drugs to tend to us in our own home.....ahhh, that would be nice. Glad you are out and LOVE the Vespa!! Good choice!!

Nikki said...

I'm glad you are home - there's something about hospitals (and I work in one so I know!) that just make you feel worse. So lovely to see the photo of your cuddly adorable dog Charlee - and I love the vespa pic!! Take care and best wishes from a cold and damp UK! Nikki X