Thursday, October 9, 2008

Soon


Yesterday my Radiation Oncologist called to advise me that he is recommending 5 weeks of treatment (25 sessions) to my sternum, right breast and lymph nodes - a very aggressive approach. This made me feel really good as the term "very aggressive" is how I approach many things in my life. Originally he was just going to treat the sternum, and this confused and frustrated Carman and I, but after discussing/consulting with his colleagues, they believe if they didn't treat the breast and nodes with the sternum, they may compromise future treatment options. Carman and I prayed each morning that God would have his hand in my treatment plan, and we see this advice as coming directly from him.

When I start is still unknown. If I don't hear from them after the long-weekend he advised me to call to get an update.

I also had a very good morning yesterday because I met with our pastor. He gave me some scripture to memorize and to lean/stand/kneel upon. They give me great comfort:

Psalm 40: 1-4
I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned me and hear my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the Lord.

Isaiah 43:2-3
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold your with my righteous right hand.


Becaue I am human I fear, but the more I turn to God, these fears can be taken away. I fear I will loose my sense of joy for life during this. I love to smile and laugh, and I don't want cancer to take my smile away. I fear I will loose hope and peace. My pastor assures me if I keep my eye and heart for Jesus, this can't happen. Jesus, my hope is in you alone.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

Have you danced like no one's watching today? It feels gloooorious!

Tara

Curtis & Melody Wilson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate Balon said...

Hi Brenda,
Taryn shared your news with us and sent us the link to your blog. We are so sorry that you are going through this and just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you and praying for you both. Your blog is amazing and so inspiring. If there is anything we can do to help, please call us 346-0221.
Stay strong,
Kate & Brad Balon

Curtis & Melody Wilson said...

Hi Brenda,
I've been thinking about you a lot. I am really glad you can see God's hand in all of this. We pray every day for you - that God be your strength. Kade is looking forward to seeing his Aunty Brenda soon!
Love,
Wilson's

Mike&Julie said...

Hi Brenda!
We finally have internet and we've gotten caught up on your blog and have finally figured out posting on here. We are still praying for you daily! We are happy to read they are going to be giving you the aggressive treatment you are wanting , your previous news was not what we were praying for or expecting...your amazing faith and Gods amazing love for you will help you through this difficult time
Love
Mike&Julie

LDAEJB said...

Hi Brenda,

It's awesome that the surgeons have agreed to tackle the cancer head on. Thank you for sharing the uplifting scripture verses. I am going to print them out and try to memorize them as well. Psalm 112:7,8 says "He does not fear bad news, nor live in dread of what may happen. For he is settled in his mind that Jehovah will take care of him. That is why he is not afraid, but can calmly face his foes" and Psalm 32:7 reads "You are my hiding place from every storm of life; you even keep me from getting into trouble! You surround me with songs of victory". We continue to pray for you throughout each day. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Sending much love, Darryl, Lita, Austin, Emily, Jonathan and Brianna

Anika said...

Hi Brenda,

So...I read your blog regularly and always want to comment, but when I get to this point, I'm at a loss for words. And, if you know me at all, you know that that NEVER happens! Ha, ha, ha! I admire your perseverance, your great attitude, your honesty and your faith in what is such a trying time. I think about you daily and are wishing you the best of luck with your upcoming treatments. I just want you to know that you cross my mind all the time, as does Carman, Tara, and the entire "Odovichuc" clan. I love you guys all like crazy and hope that through all of this, you keep that lovely smile of yours and like Tara says, take some time to dance like no one's watching -- it definitely can't hurt. :-)

Love, Anika XOXO