Saturday, October 4, 2008

Radiation

I have to admit, since being upgraded to having Stage IV cancer (there is no stage V), the winds came right out of my sails. The tears just keep coming. I have to wrap my brain around that this is just a technical number for doctors to treat me, and it doesn't phase God one bit. He hasn't changed his plan for me just because it went from 3 to 4.

It is really hard for me to read "if anybody can beat this you can", "your strength is an inspiration". I am not strong on my own at all, the strength you see is from God alone.

When I first wake-up in the morning is my hardest part of the day. I always have tears and fears. I am so thankful for the day, yet I have a day of cancer. Carman has been awesome. We just lay in bed hold each other and pray -we have never done before. I am seeing how important this is in marriage, and I am disappointed in us that it has taken cancer to truly make God the centre of our marriage. This prayer time gives me peace and the strength for the day.

I have had some low times. I had a hissy fit laying in bed fisting the mattress begging God to heal and restore my body and spirit. I've been brought down to my knees in anguish in the kitchen, basement, and my office. I share this not to make you sorry or sad for me. God is doing great work in me, and this is part of the process. As you take this journey with me, ask yourself: how is God working in you? I would love to hear about it. I don't want the experience to be just one sided.

The Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Tankle, restored some hope for us. The location in my sternum that is diseased is not large, and is very treatable at this time. He encouraged us to look as my cancer as a chronic illness, like heart disease. Many people live long fulfilling lives with heart disease. He did say that I am a special case - I replied "I am a special gal". Most of his patients are twice my age and are reluctant of radiation treatment. The location of the cancer is also unique so he was not prepared to issue a treatment plan without consulting his colleagues and posting a notice for advice on the worldwide cancer site. He recommends an aggressive approach of about 4 weeks, but he said he didn't want to be a 'cowboy', hence the consult. The benefit of radiation is it can relieve the pain and discomfort and kill or contain the cancer. Please pray the treatment is successful in absolute healing for life. We still don't know when the treatment will start, but probably in a week or so.

While I get radiation I will be staying with Carman's aunt Rochelle and her husband Harold. They have a basement suite all ready for me and my mom. Rochelle and I shared some tears as she gave us the tour - we are so thankful we don't have to worry about where to stay and the cost accommodations or commuting.

This morning I also started the drug Tomoxifen. It is a hormonal agent used to treat breast cancer. It prevents or slows tumor growth by blocking the effects of estrogen to the body. It has some really pleasant side effects: Hot flushes, Nausea, Bone or Tumor Pain, Vaginal Dryness, and Mood Swings. Hello Menopause. I know I am full of prayer requests, but I pray my side effects are not horrible, and easily lived with. I will also start getting an injection soon to start shutting down my ovaries, so Menopause is inevitable. I pray it just all works to make me cancer free.

On the way home last night I was telling Carman that I think God was preparing the shutting down of my ovaries for a long time. My sister Kari reminded me when I was little, my sister Tara and I would have Toyota Girl contests (remember when they would jump at the end of the commercial and shout "Toyota") and during the contest I said something about adopting. I used to stay up and watch 60 Minutes or 20/20 even as a young teenager and watch documentaries about the 1 child policy in China and the massive amount of orphans in Romania. Loosing my ovaries doesn't bother me one iota (this is an authorized measurement). Carman too said he has no regrets of not having children. It will be interested to see how this all unfolds and if we ever become parents.

I know many of you want to help us. When my radiation starts I have asked if they can give me a late morning schedule which would allow me to come home Friday afternoon and leave Monday mornings. To allow Carman the opportunity to work as much as possible, we would greatly accept the offer of drivers on Mondays and Fridays. I know some of you have already offered so we will be in touch with you. The next request Carman doesn't know I am asking, but he is not that fond of house work. I am a bit of clean freak and relax better when my house is clean. If any of you are interested in helping with cleaning, I know Carman would love it, and I would greatly appreciate it when I come home on the weekends.

You can also help by mailing me your picture. I want to put pictures on the fridge in Edmonton like I do at home - just to remind myself I am not alone. Our address:
12 McCune Ave
Red Deer, AB
T4N 0H2


Lastly I share some bible verses. I have been writing them on recipe cards so I can quickly flip through them when they are greatly needed:

Lamentations 3:32
Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love.

Psalm 112:7
He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.

Haven't cracked open a bible in awhile? I am not trying to make you feel guilty - I was once like that too. Don't be as stubborn (that Ukrainian trait) and as slow of a learner as I was.

With Love,
Brenda

13 comments:

Juanita said...

Hun, what you are going through is really unbelievable but what I find more unbelievable, intriguing, thought provoking is your unwavering faith. It is like a breath of fresh air. I read your posts and think to myself 'I wonder if it is possible for me to have faith like Brenda?'Equally as intriguing is that it seems to be stronger...I personally would be mad at God.... I just felt compelled to write you, to let you know you and your family are in my thoughts constantly, prayers daily. I check your blog daily, but am more amazed by your faith then by the awfulness you have to endure, now that really says something about you hun... what a wonderful, joyful person you are. Like you said it is God's will on how this will all turn out but I think God knows we need many more of you on this earth...heaven can wait..:)
Lots of Love,
Juanita Kosinski-Edwards (I went to school with Jodi, you went to school with my brother Trevor, plus we worked at IGA together...or at least I think you worked there too)

Nadine said...

Hi Brenda,
We have been praying and thinking about you lots this week...
We promise to hold you up in prayers every night with our children when we do prayers before bed...
My little 4 year old Gabriel loves to pray for people...
I am so sorry you need to go through this...remember always your Heavenly Father and all the people who love you and are praying for you...
God Bless
The Fletchers

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

Remember, it's okay to have bad days. Don't fight them because it just makes them that much harder! Acknowledge you're having a bad day and know it will pass.

Have as many hissyfits as you need and don't feel an ounce of guilt! In fact, you're SUPPOSED to have hissyfits...not sure if you got the memo?!

Right now, you're working towards becoming the whole person who are meant to become. You're enrolled in God's apprenticeship program.

Not everyone gets accepted into God's special program because not everyone is ready. You ARE a "special gal" and that's why you were chosen to be an apprentice, that goes for Carman, too! So embrace it, learn from it, grow from it, and teach others. You're a keener so I know you can do it!

This is part of your life's purpose so experience it on every level and be thankful for every second of it...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Without pressure, carbon would never become a diamond. Sometimes in our darkest hour we have the most clarity. This is your journey and it is a gift from God.

Love you,

T

Lois Plett said...

Hi Carmen & Brenda, I too check your blog everyday! Doug & I pray that God would bring you closer together and make your marriage stronger through all of this. By your last entry, He is doing just that!
Another verse that you might find comforting at night when you have a hard time turning off your brain is Psalm 4:8 "I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." That safety is right in the palm of His hand!
Doug & Lois

LDAEJB said...

Hi Brenda,

We too read your blog everyday and pray for you continually throughout the day. Personally you have really made me consider my own faith.... how there is a plan for each of us and the only one that knows the plan is God. I have been trying hard to give my life completely to God;I desire to be willing to give up my own agenda to help others around me and to be open to however God wants me to serve. Your story has moved and inspired me, stretching me in ways that I don't necessarily feel ready to stretch in. We have also shared your story with many of our friends and we have gotten inspiration from how God has healed others. One of our friends has had a complete bone marrow transplant. She recovered from leukemia and she shares her amazing story with others. There is something very special about June. It's hard to identify what it is but she is a walking miracle and God is so evident in the way that she talks and in the things that matter to her. We would love to help with driving and cleaning.
We will pray for you as you prepare to undergo radiation treatment. We love you. Darryl, Lita, Austin, Emily, Jonathan and Brianna

Anonymous said...

Dear Brenda,

Just a little information for you. I am not sure if you are aware of the 'Breast Cancer Supportive Care' organization or not? They are located in the South Tower of the Foothills Hospital, directly behind the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in Northwest Calgary.

South Tower
#302-3031 Hospital Dr. NW
Calgary AB. T2N 2T8

phone(403) 270-2242
fax (403) 270-2251

My aunt, Evonne Black, is on the board of directors, and has been with BCSC since it was a neighbourhood grouping of women who had a dream to help other women with breast cancer. My mother (Evonne's sister), their mother & their mother's sister have all had breast cancer, so it's one of those things that always feels like it is just a matter of time.

Anyways, they have a huge heart for women and have provided so much care. Also, just 'cos I know, Dr. Ardythe Taylor is a Christian. The link below will take you to their website:

http://www.breastcancersupportivecare.com/index.php?c=au_our-story&s=about-us

No matter what, you are thought about, prayed about, & worried about. Thank you for the openness & vulnerability you have chosen to share through your blog.

May God continue to rain blessings on Carmen & you,
Kim Schellenberg (from CrossRoads)

Robyn said...

Hi Brenda,
I followed a link from Jen's blog and after reading your story just wanted you to know that I'll be praying for you as you start your treatment. My MIL had breast cancer about 5 years ago and underwent radiation too...it wasn't always an easy road but I'm so glad that these treatment options are available. Wishing you all the very best.

Anonymous said...

Brenda,
I have tried this blog a bunch of times. I started with forwarding your e-mail back to you. Then I deleted my second attempt. The third attempt I did a typo and lost it. So hopefully I can send this one to you...I have been searching for words to express the despair I feel. Shock, anger, denial, to list many. I have been soul searching and have decided God has a special plan for you. For whatever reason, Carman was to have vacation and time away from work when you needed him most. He allowed you access into the healthcare system to get your tests done expeediously. Something near impossible today. He found you a surgeon who tended to you and removed as much of the lump as he could . God has continued on with his work. He has taken you to the Cross to continue on your path. God will not give you Brenda anything you can't handle. He knows you are a stubborn Ukranian with much determination, strength, and will. He is with you, and hears you. He hears us all. He is gently guiding you along his path. He needs you to have faith, hope, and most of all believe. BELIEVE the treatment choice Dr.Tankle pruposes is specialized to the stubborn Ukranian gal he is treating. Believe every treatment you recieve will be effective and stop the cancer. Believe, no matter how ill you feel, that IT WILL WORK. The power of positive thinking will carry you. God wants and needs you. He has chosen you to give other cancer patients hope. He wants other patients at the Cross to see you, how your determination and faith will carry you through the lowest of low times and also see you soar. He needs you to believe his plan and embrace it. Allow your body to fight the cancer. This wil be the fight of your life. There will be times you feel so ill you do not know how or why. But remember no matter how ill you feel BELIEVE. Every ill felt will be one step closer to the end of treatments. One step closer to a clean bill of health (remission). When you do not feel the strength to carry on, pray and God will carry you. When the determination and drive escape you we will carry you. When you feel ever so ill to fight and continue. We will all lift your spirit and carry you. God does hear you, he hears us all...remember BELIEVE
With prayer and love
Kari

Anita said...

Hi Brenda, It breaks my heart to learn of the struggles you are going through. Thank goodness you have God to lean on, a big friendly dog to give you kisses when you're feeling low, and a husband you can pray with to start your day. I am at a loss as to what to write to encourage you, but know that, even though we have only met you a couple of times, we care for you and are praying for you. May God's healing hand be on you and may he grant you (and Carmen) strength as you face each day.
Anita (with Brad, Iris and Griffin)...we camped with you at Red Lodge Park.

shelby said...

Beautiful Brenda
I was just told of your battle over the weekend, and I am now joining with all the others in their prayers for you. I have a very strong faith in the Heavenly Father, and I have seen him do may beautiful things.
I will pray for you as soon as I open my eyes every morning as I know this is the hardest part of the day for you. I hope my prayers will give you a little strength to start your day.
I will also light a healing candle for you at church every Sunday and ask the congregation to join in my prayers for you. Power of Prayer is an amazing thing!
You are unbelievably strong Brenda and your faith will help you on this journey.
Always in my thoughts and prayers.

Shelby Blaney Gregory

Michael Pinder said...

Hi Brenda,
First things first! We are all sending HUGE HUGS and PRAYERS from Calgary. When I came to hear about your cancer, I could not come to terms with the reality of it being someone so close to us. You always here the stories but never feel the pain. I was discussing the latest update with Carman the other day, when at that second during our conversation I felt the pain and just wanted to be there, but I'm positive that everyone you know feels the same way. Besides, your house would be full of people wondering around looking for something to do. Then again? Maybe a new deck? Tub? Closet? I’m sure they wouldn’t mind. I told Carman I would blog something irrelevant and way off topic to help reroute our thoughts but I'm afraid I would type on and on and on, probably about ‘how crazy the crazy people are!’ But then I would have a blog following and would more than likely have to start my own blog and so on. Anyways, I’m sure that it can wait.

I was sitting at home tonight reading your blog again and before I knew it was typing away; more than likely several other paragraphs and sentences which I have edited and re-written many times I’m sure. I just wanted to say hi and to let you know that although we are miles away, I feel/know we are all side by side fighting with you! As I often say to my clients 'you are an inspiration to all that surround you and your stories will touch so many more'. We are all thinking of you and Carman daily. Remember, laughter is the best medicine and we all could use a daily dose!
Love, Michael & Iris Pinder
And the Calgary Crew

Michele said...

Hi Brenda,

I found your blog the usual way, (through a friend of a friend...) and I just want you to know that I too am praying for you!

Wishing you the best!

Tracy said...

Hi Brenda and Carmen. This is my first message to you and I don't know how to start it. I'm sorry for what you are both going through. I can't imaging. I selfishly pray to God and ask Him not to allow me and my family to personally have to endure what you are having to to get me to focus on Him more in my life and family. I see how much you are learning and leaning on Him more and I am inspired by you. It is encouraging me to get my poop together and not wait until I'm in a crisis. God is using your experience because of your attitude toward Him. I hope I would be as greaceful and brave as you have been. I know you have huge down moments and that's TOTALLY allowed, but know I'm so proud of you. God is too.

You need to know you are being covered in prayer daily. Lexi (our 7 year old)has added you to her classroom pray requests and remembers to pray for you everynight when we tuck her in. You know that God can't say "no" to childrens prayers!lol!! Thanks for letting us follow your journey. I can't wait to see what God's gonna do with you and your journey for His good! Hugs!

Tracy & the "Peters"