Saturday, October 25, 2008

Hormones

On Thursday we met with Dr. Joy and started the Hormone injections. The hope is this once a month injection into my abodmen will be successful in shutting down my ovaries (to stop the production of estrogen). I probably won't start experiencing the side-effects for about 1 month, and they won't know if it is working for about 2 months. When we asked about chemo, Dr. Joy is advising us to start with Hormone Therapy - I may be a lucky one where the therapy is successful in treating the cancer. He always has chemo and herceptin in his backpocket if the hormones don't work. Disclaimer: I don't beleive in luck. If it is God's will for it to work it will, and if it is not, it won't - simple as that.



I am afraid my blog may be misleading. I have had freinds say "You are so strong". I am having a hard time dealing with cancer. I really liked me life, and I feel like it is totally upside down. I feel broken and plagued with dismay. I have been reading Psalm 40: 1-3 a lot. I know God hears my cry, and I am trying to patiently wait for him to lift me out of my slimy pit of mud and mire and place my feet on rock for a firm place to stand. I want God to put a new song in my mouth.



At a counselling session we were asked to each just open the Bible. I opened to Pslam 143:10-12 and Carman opened Isaiah 30:18-19. Our God is sooo good.



If you are praying for us, please pray:

- God would provide absolute healing with the radiaiton and hormones

- God would be compassionate with the treatment side effects

- The bone scan and CT scan in January would show no other infected areas, the specs in my lungs would be gone, and the bone fully repaired.



A lady from our church whom Carman and I both fully respect, sent us a card with this written inside:

God is too wise to be mistaken

God is too good to be unkind

So if you don't understand

If you don't see His plan

If you can't trace His hand

Trust His heart



I just love it. I have been praying God works in me so I can just fully trust his heart with all of this.



I honestly don't know how I would ever get through this if I didn't have Christ in my life. Let him into your life, trust me, you will NEVER regret it.



Carman and I feel so loved during this time. Thank you all for your support!

11 comments:

E. Tyler Rowan said...

That is beautiful. And you are strong - whether you want to admit it or not. Your faith in God, His sovereignty, and His plan is a reflection of your strength of character.

Randy Mykitiuk said...

Brenda,
God has a plan for us all. I wish so much I had answers. And take away the cancer...Your faith will see you through in all the experiences you face. Times of despair, happiness, fear, anxiety, love. God is what is carrying you through this trying time. He is giving you the strength to face each day and look to the sun. You may not feel strong, but broken and beaten down. With "why" "how"
"not me" "it just can't be". Feel what you need to feel. Embrace every emotion. Start a diary to help process your feelings and thoughts. Write anything down. It can be a very cathartic process. And enable you to move closer to God and what he wants you to see in all of this. In his own gentle way he is guiding you to where you need to be. You will find your Rock and stand strong on it. If you have a difficult time finding that rock Alexandra collects rocks and will bring you a handful to stand on. I'm sure Rykan will add a few of his own, and a pile of cars, and twigs too. God hears you Brenda. Give your body freely to the treatments and it will respond. We are all praying it is effective and 2009 will bring remission.
Love Randy,Kari,Alexandra,Rykan

Juanita said...

Of course you are having a hard time with this, of course your heart is breaking....What is amazing to me Brenda is that this is the time you need God and you are embracing him wholeheartedly, that is what I find so strong. Some would spit in his face, you are not and this is what makes you inspiring!!! We all understand that you are human...if you weren't you wouldn't need God....:)

Juanita

LDAEJB said...

Hi Brenda,

Thanks so much for updating your blog yesterday. We have been praying about your visit with Dr. Joy. We have also been asking "the Father in his great glory to give you the power to be strong inwardly through his spirit" Ephesians 3:16. We petition for you that God will "enlighten the eyes of your mind so that you can see what hope his call holds for you". Ephesians 1:18. The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe: Proverbs 18:10
Jehovah-raah-your caring shepherd
Jehovah-jireh-the Lord who provides
Jehovah-shalom-the Lord is peace
Jehovah-rophe-the Lord who heals you
Jehovah-nissi-the Lord my banner
You shared that time spent focusing on bible verses has been uplifting and we read in Romans 15:4 that "The Scriptures give us patience and encouragement so that we can have hope". "He gives strength to those who are tired and more power to those who are weak" Isaiah 40:29. We love you and pray for you daily. Darryl, Lita, Austin, Emily, Jonathan and Brianna

Unknown said...

Brenda, there are two songs that come to mind that you should give a listen to - I'm sure you can find them on YouTube. One is by Ginny Owens and it is called "If You Want Me to" and the other is by Rita Springer and is called "It's Gonna Be Worth It". I hope they minister to you. You're in my prayers.
Cheryl Cysouw

Martinek said...

Thinking of you today as you start your next journey-we pray for strength and healing! Much love to you Brenda.

Doug and Pam said...

Hi Brenda
Your faith is an inspiration for me. I have days when eye sight, balance isn't great, but when I get discouraged I sit and read you blog, or pick my bible. The Lord is good. Turn our eyes upon Jesus and each day is a gift. I pray for you always and I know through all of this the Lord is sovereign and His love for us is beyond all understanding.
LOVE Doug and Pam

Brenda said...

Dear Brenda,
My name is Brenda too :) I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in March, and have just finished my treatment. The Lord has really touched me and I would love to be a source of support for you. I also have a couple of things I would like to tell you about that really helped me. My email is lovesummer33@aol.com, feel free to contact me.
In christ
Brenda

Kami said...

Hi B
Just thinking of you again today!
love you
kami

Elaine said...

Dear Brenda, In Matthew we read the story of Peter walking on the water towards Jesus. It was when he took his eyes off Jesus and focused on the storm around him that he began to sink into the waves. It is so good to hear and see that you and Carmen are so focused on your Lord, for it only is JESUS that saves. You are an amazing girl and I know that only comes from the strength you have in Christ. Our prayer for you is that Jesus will indeed give you the desires of your heart but also that through this many others will have a personal relationship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!! Thank you for sharing. Elaine and Gerben.

Eric and Lindsey Kowalchuk said...

Brenda my heart aches for you. There is so much to say. I'd love to drive you to or from Edmonton as you need. I also scrub a mean toilet:) Let me know when and where I can help. Eric works two out one home so I'm free for two solid weeks at a time if you need me. 403-506-7275. Bless you child. Bless you. In the name of Jesus of Nazareth I Bless you.