Thursday, August 28, 2008

Monday, Aug 11/08

3am - The pain wakes me up. This is not good! I can barely get myself out of bed to get my 'drugs' in the bathroom. Now, how do I get myself back into bed with this pain?
I am laying there - where is all of the pain coming from? Even my chest wall hurts now. I poke around and it hurts just about everywhere. Running my fingers down my sternum I feel it - a breast lump!
Okay, I have a lump. But I am in so much pain. "Carman, I think we need to go to the ER."
A 3 hour wait and I get in. The ER doctor is awesome and he gives me something for the pain and sends me for an x-ray.
Side Story: My body does not like narcotics. Yes, I am laying on the floor in the observation room vomiting in a garbage can yelling (although not very loudly) "I think I need help". Needless to say I got more prompt attention from the doctor after this incident.
The ER doctor gives me something else for the pain and advises me he has already called my doctor and I should be there at 10am for them to look a the lump.
10am - They are concerned about the lump and schedule a ultrasound a mammogram stat!
I am not too worried. Hey, I'm only 31 and there is no breast cancer in the family. It is probably just a cyst. Cysts are known to cause the body a lot of pain - aren't they?

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Hi Brenda,
I found out that I, too, can not take narcotics. It was after a very interesting surgery. The surgery wasn't interesting, but my reactions to morphine sure was. ;-)
Codeine, found in tylenol 3, has codeine and codeine turns into morphine in your body.
The things we don't know until later...