Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wed, Aug 27

The days are running together!
We stayed at Carman's sister's place the night before - we are on holidays and did not want to sit around home. We stop off in Beaumont to see our friends Kelly and Josh. I have known Kelly since grade 7 and she shares that she now has someone to run for during the Run for the Cure. We went to Chapters because I wanted to buy Dr. Marla Shapiro's book - they were out so I about another book instead. I read a good chunk of it before I went to sleep and I am encouraged as the author was 35 when she was diagnosed.
We get the call that they want to see me at 1pm vs 4pm. Okay, I know that only God could provided the timeline to date so far - this type of expediency is not the norm.
The surgeon is really nice and goes over the pros and cons of a lumpectomy versus a Mastectomy. Carman and I talk, and choose the lumpectomy. The statistics are not that much different, and I can still look the same in my clothes and have cleavage (not that I've got much in the first place). I was totally prepared to loose my breast and get reconstruction, but if we can save it, why not!
She also advises us she is having the OR schedule bumped so I can have surgery on Tuesday -once again thanks GOD!
Oh, she's pretty sure the cancer has spread into my lymph nodes and may have to remove some during surgery.
I am more grossed out about having a drain out of my body than loosing 1/4 of my breast. I know, I need to get realistic and prioritize differently. But really, a drain coming out of my body. Carman thinks we should name in Drippy, Drainy, or Stinky. It better not stink!

No comments: