Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cross Cancer Institute

Yesterday and today we were at the Cross. The pathology report came back that the tumor was 2.7cm and estrogen, progesterone and HER2 positive. They removed 15 nodes and 6 of them were cancerous. In a nutshell, my cancer is very aggressive and fueled by hormones. It was a very emotional couple of days for Carman and I. If the cancer has not attacked my bones, my treatment schedule will be 6 treatments of chemo (1 day every 3 weeks). After chemo I would then have 5-6 weeks of radiation which is every weekday. Six months of Hercpetion by IV will continue for 6 months after the chemo (this to to fight the HER2) and five years of Tomoxifen. They would like to see Chemo start on Sept 29th. I have been given the chance to enter into a study. Carman and I are interested, but we need to weigh out this opportunity. There is only a 50% chance I would have the drug they are testing. We both however like the idea of getting the chemo in Red Deer. It would allow us to maintain a better sense or normalcy (which is changing fast enough).

If the cancer has gotten into my bones, than a totally different treatment plan would be devised. If I just have breast cancer than I have a chance at a cure. If it has spread to my bones than it is treatment for survival.

I am concerned it may have reached my bones. It was back and chest pains that caused me to find the lump. PLEASE pray the bone scan on Tuesday does not show anything and that this pain is strictly muscular. I also have a CT scan on Thursday to check for spreading.

To be perfectly honest, I am not afraid of dieing, I am more afraid of not being able to live a quality life. By inviting Christ into my life I know I have eternal life in a glorious place. I pray God grants me a long life here on earth with Carman - I want to grow old with him.

It gives us great comfort knowing we have such great prayer support.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, grant me the blessing of healing. Lord protect my bones and internal organs and provide a cancer free bone scan. Give me the strength to endure the chemo and radiation, and use this technology to free me from cancer. You are my ultimate physician and I place my body in your hands. You are faithful and sovereign and have a plan for my life. May I never forget in this battle set before me that you love me greater than any other, and that you hear my prayers.

7 comments:

Frieda said...

Oh Brenda. I've been praying for you and Carmen and waiting to hear results - but this isn't what I was hoping for. However, you are the daughter of a mighty God and His hand is on you. You are a blessing and an inspiration as you share this journey with us.

Anonymous said...

Love Ya!!!

Lois Plett said...

Brenda, just know that we are praying for you and Carmen. We are asking that The Great Physician would have His will and way in your life and that through that miracle, that He would be glorified!!
Hang in and Hang ON!

Unknown said...

Brenda, I just wanted to let you know that Jeff and I are praying for you and Carmen.

Curtis & Melody Wilson said...

Hi Brenda - we are all praying with you, our family, our church - we know that God is with you and will never leave you...we love you!

LDAEJB said...

Hi Brenda,

We are praying for you daily. Your latest news is not what we were praying for. We know though that God has a plan for your life and that God's healing power can overcome any difficulty. We will continue to lift you up in prayer. Hang in there.Love Darryl, Lita, Austin, Emily, Jonathan and Brianna

darlene@realwoman said...

Hi Brenda,

You don't know me, and I've not met you yet. The wonder of computers. I am a friend of Lita's, and I've been following your journey almost from the beginning. The story of your journey is open-hearted and brutally honest - wow. And, your prayer circle extends much further than you may know. I will be thinking of you this week.
Darlene