Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Surgery - Sept 3/08

I felt such a sense of peace today. I know my Heavenly Father hears ours prayers and is with us. My mom and dad met us at the front door at the hospital and my sister Tara showed up shortly after with a bag full goodies: hand sanitizer (all of the scents available), a magazine, doggie bags for Rudy... And of course Diet Coke for herself.
Carman and my dad took Rudy to the dog park and dropped her off at Carman's sister's place during my 2 hour pre-surgery wait.
My ability to take instruction has been challenging - I couldn't remember which way she said to wear the gown and if I could keep my undies on - I got it wrong and they sent me back to switch my gown and put my undies back on (yeah!).
They came to get me for surgery early so Carman and my dad couldn't see me off, but I had already given them hugs and kisses and I knew they would be back when I woke up. They estimated the surgery would be 2-3hours.
I struck up a conversation with the orderly about great places to eat in Banff. We both shared a passion for great food - it helped pass the time as he took me to pre-op.
The Anasteziologist advised me her intern would be prepping me surgery - I wanted to test him and asked him about insuring I get the correct doses of medication, that there was no way they could accidentally give me sulfa drugs, and to be aware that I was born with a slight heart murmur. He answered all of my questions with ease and I felt very comfortable as I entered the OR. The nurses asked me some basic questions: what my name was, what surgery I was getting, who my doctor was, and which side they were operating on.
I woke up and the surgery was over. The first thing that came to my mind was how much I love camping! I think I even said out loud " Man, I love to camp!"
As soon as I came back to the unit I heard Carman say "hi honey" and it felt great!
My sister Jodi came up to visit and gave me a soft blue blanket and my sister Kari and husband Randy and Alex and Rykan came up with a goodie bag which Alex wrapped herself. They gave me Lance Armstrong's book, Chicken Soup for Breast Cancer, a cute little Bunny which says a prayer, a HUG children's book, a row of Soda Cracker (which ending being the best gift ever!), and a All Bran Bar.
I wasn't a very good visitor because I couldn't keep my eyes open but I enjoyed listening to the conversation around me.
My nurse until midnight was really great. She was from Austria and we had a nice chat about traveling in Europe (which I am going to do some day). My late-night nurse was a cute older lady that kept the drugs coming. My morning nurse wasn't as nice but I only had her for a short period of time.
The surgeon's intern advised me the surgery went well and that they took some nodes from under the arm (that is why I have a drain under my armpit). I didn't think my surgeon was going to see me, but right before we left she showed up and advised us that the surgery went well and the reason the lump under my arm was so big was because there was 2-3 nodes lumped together. She thought they would probably come back as cancerous (we are praying that they are not), but wanted to assure me not to worry. I see her again in 2 weeks to go over the pathology report.
By noon I was back at home in my own bed and feeling really good. My mom and dad are staying with us until Friday so Carman can go back to work tomorrow. My friend Taryn was gracious by feeding us a great supper - thanks Taryn!
We so greatly appreciate all of your prayers and well wishes. We feel very encouraged that God can heal my body and put the required people in my path.

7 comments:

Martinek said...

Oh Brenda, through all my tears you can still make me laugh so hard! You are surrounded by wonderful family and friends and LOTS OF LOVE. . . I am so blessed to call you my friend. We will be with you every step of the way. . .

Sheila said...

Hi Brenda,
How long does the drip stay in for?
Being as old as I am, I have had a few friends with cancer and I found this awesome book from a group from Edmonton. I will put it in the Wilson mailbox at church for you.
It has really good tips on eating while under going chemo etc.
You are an excellent writer!! I hope that Carman is taking photos - here is a Book for publishing in the making.
Sheila - my dad was an editor

AprilDK said...

Greetings Brenda and Carmen,
It has been a long time since our paths have crossed. So much has changed in our lives.
I received word today of your diagnosis and I can say I was blown away. It is so awesome to read how you are trusting God for each moment. I am so pleased to be able to support you in your journey through prayer and anything else you may require of me.
You have always been a person of encouragement to me, a symbol of strength. I feel so blessed to have you brought around in my life again, regrettibly under tougher circumstances.
You still have the ability to make me laugh! You truly are amazing!
My promise is to uphold you with prayer. My voice shall bring your forth to our Heavenly Fathers throneroom.
Thank you for sharing this journey with me.
I pray God's richest blessing and grace for you today and everyday through this trial and I pray it may it add to your strength.
Love in Christ Almighty,
April K.

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Brenda,
I am praying for you, girl! Totally trusting our Heavenly Father's plan.
I am amazed with how quickly the process has gone. God's hand is definitely all over the situation.
Thank-you for sharing your journey, and keep letting us know how we can be praying.
Love,
Tyler

BIll and Sharon said...

Hellooo Brenda and Carman. You guys are awesome ya know. Sharon and me will be praying and standing beside you all the way. God's hand is in this for sure. Just hold on to it. He'll guide you through, as He has promised.
Hugs and love
Bill and Sharon

Anonymous said...

The power to calm a storm at sea is pretty impressive. Jesus' disciples asked, "Who is this man that even the wind and sea obey him?" Brenda, what a wonderful witness you are to the 'peacemaker' and the calming of the storm in your life on such a 'stormy' day! Thank you Lord that peace is not the absence of problems - but the presence of God. Remember vacation won't keep us from talking about you to our Heavenly Father. May your peacemaker, your prince of peace, grant you "the peace of God that surpasses all our understandings, guarding your heart and mind".
P.S. - We'll be back to play to Chinese Rummy!!!! Carman - don't mess up all the score cards!

Jodi, Jay, Jacob said...

You were a total "rockstar", after your surgery. You looked so great & were doing your excerises, without having to be reminded.
Hope you find the blankie from Jacob, to give you some comfort as its warm & snuggly...

HUGS !!!